Kinder Morgan to Purchase El Paso for Approximately $38 Billion
Kinder Morgan, Inc. and El Paso Corporation announced Oct. 16 a definitive agreement whereby KMI will acquire all of the outstanding shares of EP in a transaction that will create the largest midstream and the fourth largest energy company in North America with an enterprise value of approximately $94 billion and 80,000 miles of pipelines.
The total purchase price, including the assumption of debt outstanding at El Paso Corporation and including the debt outstanding at El Paso Pipeline Partners, L.P. is approximately $38 billion.
The combined enterprise, including the associated master limited partnerships, Kinder Morgan Energy Partners, L.P. (NYSE: KMP) and EPB, will represent the largest natural gas pipeline network in the United States, the largest independent transporter of petroleum products in the United States, the largest transporter of CO2 in the United States and the largest independent terminal owner/operator in the United States.
“This once in a lifetime transaction is a win-win opportunity for both companies,” said Kinder Morgan Chairman and CEO Richard D. Kinder. “The El Paso assets are primarily regulated interstate natural gas pipelines that produce substantial, stable cash flow and have access to key supply regions and major consuming markets. The natural gas pipeline systems of the two companies are very complementary, as they primarily serve different supply sources and markets in the United States. The transaction is expected to produce immediate shareholder value (upon closing) through strong cash flow accretion and offers significant future growth opportunities.”
The consideration to be received by the EP shareholders is valued at $26.87 per EP share based on KMI’s closing price as of Oct. 14, 2011, representing a 47 percent premium to the 20-day average closing price of EP common shares and a 37 percent premium over the closing price of EP common shares on Oct. 14, 2011. The offer is comprised of $14.65 in cash, 0.4187 KMI shares (valued at $11.26 per EP share) and 0.640 KMI warrants (valued at $0.96 per EP share) based on KMI’s closing price on Oct. 14, 2011. The warrants will have an exercise price of $40 and a five-year term. EP shareholders will be able to elect, for each EP share held, either (i) $25.91 in cash, (ii) 0.9635 shares of KMI common stock, or (iii) $14.65 in cash plus 0.4187 shares of KMI common stock. All elections will be subject to proration and in all cases EP shareholders will receive 0.640 KMI warrants per share of EP common stock. The receipt of shares and warrants by EP shareholders in the transaction is intended to be tax free for U.S. federal income tax purposes. Upon closing, KMI shareholders are expected to own approximately 68 percent of the combined company and EP shareholders are expected to own the remaining 32 percent.
“El Paso’s board and management have been highly focused on delivering value for our shareholders, and we believe that our agreement with Kinder Morgan will provide even greater value for our shareholders than we expected through the planned spin-off of our exploration and production business,” said Doug Foshee, chairman, president and chief executive officer of El Paso Corporation. “We are very pleased to become a significant part of this combined enterprise and offer our shareholders the opportunity to participate in what we believe will be North America’s preeminent infrastructure company.”
Tweets are loading...
- Coatings, pipe joint
- Compressor components
- Contractor, pipeline
- Contractor, river crossing/ directional drilling
- Directional drilling rigs, large
- Fittings, valves: plastic
- Meters, flow
- Pigs, cleaning
- Pigs, intelligent
- Pigs, scraper/ sphere launchers/ traps
- Scada systems
- Ultrasonic inspection
- Vacuum excavators/ potholing
- Valves, ball
- Welding systems, automatic